Quick Start Guide
SnowMirror is very easy to install and configure and it has been designed to be as user-friendly as possible. However, it is an enterprise tool and our experience is that the conditions and environments vary a lot. This guide is about helping new users to evaluate SnowMirror for Salesforce and its features the most efficient way.
Stage 1: Installation
The goal for the first stage is to install SnowMirror for Salesforce on a Windows machine. It can be either a laptop if you just want to quickly evaluate the tool or you can install it on a Windows Server for a longer proof of concept.
The Windows distribution contains everything in one package including Java and a Tomcat server. It is installed by default as a Windows service.
- Download the latest SnowMirror for Salesforce, Windows Installer.
- Get a trial license for 30 days
- Fill in the trial form with your details including a valid email address
- License key is sent to your mailbox
- Install SnowMirror using all the defaults (Express Install)
After you finish the installation wizard then a browser should open
- Wait for the application to load. It might take several minutes. The default URL of the application is at http://localhost:9191
Stage 2: Configuration Wizard
The first time SnowMirror starts it launches a configuration wizard which makes the whole setup simple and user-friendly.
- As a first step enter the trial license key you got via email and press Next.
- The next step is about connecting to Salesforce. You would need username, password and a Security Token.
If you do not know you Salesforce Security Token then go to Salesforce -> <your name> ->My Settings -> Personal -> Reset My Security Token
- Enter credentials into the SnowMirror form and select if it is a sandbox or a production instance. Use the Test Connection button to check if the connection is successful.
- Configure the database details in the next step. Use the Test Connection button again.
If you don’t have a database at the moment then use the Built-in database option. SnowMirror will use an embedded file database instead.
- Setup a local SnowMirror user (e.g. admin/password) and skip all other configuration options.
- Review the settings and finish the configuration wizard
Stage 3: Synchronize Data
As the last step, let’s synchronize the Lead table into the mirror database to verify that the whole setup is working correctly.
- Log into SnowMirror using the new user account (e.g. admin/password)
- Go to Synchronizations in the main menu and press the New Synchronization button.
- As a first step while creating a synchronization please select the table to synchronize. In this case Lead.
- On the second screen, there is a couple of options. The most important task is to select the fields/columns you want to synchronize. Press the Count Records button to have an idea how many records will SnowMirror download.
- The last step is the schedule. A typical setup is to download the changes once a day. So, let’s configure 3 am every day.
- Now, the Lead table has been scheduled for replication. You can check the synchronization and use the Synchronize button to trigger the load manually.
- You are all set. Verify that the data is successfully in the database and you can start working with your data locally.
IMPORTANT: this is not valid for built-in databases, it is not possible to connect to the database from the outside. The built-in database is for evaluation purposes only.